This event took place on Saturday 19 November 2022
Noses for Nature - Ecological detection dog Conference
Odisee Hogeschool, Hospitaalstraat 21, 9100 Sint-Niklaas - on-site & on-line
Hoe verliep het congres? Check it out hier!
- 10.00: Introduction
- 10.10: The stag beetles and ecological detection dogs - Arno Thomaes, Research Institute for Nature and Forest INBO, Belgium
- 10.30: Ecological detection dogs in Flanders - Ellen Van Krunkelsven, Canine Unit Federal Police Belgium & NPO Noses for Nature, Belgium
- 10.50: Scent Discriminating Ecological Detection Dogs - training aspects and experiences with different target species- Uta Kielau, K9 Hundekunde, Germany
- 11.10: Can sniffer dogs detect larvae of glowworms (Lampyris noctiluca)? - Mira Van den Broeck, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- 11.25: First use of a wolf detection dog in Flanders : experiences and options - Jan Gouwy, Research Institute for Nature and Forest INBO, Belgium & Carina Depape, NPO Noses for Nature, Belgium
- 11.45: LUNCH BREAK (sandwiches)
- 13.30: Detection dogs in conservation projects: a review on their worldwide performance and some case studies - Annegret Grimm-Seyfarth, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, Germany
- 14.00: Training African giant pouched rats to detect illegally trafficked wildlife - Isabelle Szott, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Tanzania
- 14.20: Training aspects of ecological detection dogs - Hotsche Luik, Scent Detection Academy, The Netherlands
- 14.40: Using detection animals to demonstrate an undetectable species - Ashadee Miller, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- 15.00: BREAK
- 15.20: Conservation k9 Consultancy -Conservation Makes scents! Let’s get sniffing! - Louise Wilson, Conservation k9 Consultancy, United-Kingdom
- 15.40: Wildlife detection dogs, a viable method to locate great crested newt Triturus cristatus at distance and through substrate? Nikki Glover, Eco-system and Environment Research Centre, University of Salford, United-Kingdom
- 16.00: Ecological detection dog Odisee research projects in Flanders - Hilde Vervaecke, Odisee University of Applied Science, Belgium
- 16.20: Closing
Thanks folks for attending this meeting! It was great to connect and share interesting information!
Thanks to https://www.friendlywithdogs.com/winkel/for the nice stand with dog books, goodies, etc...
Thanks to the volunteering helping folks, colleagues and students who made this a cozy meeting!
Thanks to Odisee University of Applied Sciences & the INBO Research Institute for Nature and Forest for hosting this event.
In case you have further questions, you can mail email@example.com
Here are the recordings of the Noses for Nature Conference. They will remain available till April 30th 2023.
To see the morning sessions, click on this link: https://youtu.be/2bGpXgVE8j8
To see the afternoon sessions, click on this link: https://youtu.be/LE70DikHlXY